Kythera is an island that anyone who visits for their vacation falls in love with. Maybe it’s the variety of items you will come across. In Kythera you will find data from Cyclades, Ionian Islands, Crete and other areas. They are located below the Peloponnese and a little further south are Antikythera. Villages and houses in beautiful locations, beaches, waterfalls, caves and monasteries are some of which you can find in Kythera. Initially the ferry from Piraeus will leave you in Diakofti. If you are wondering what to do, what to see, how to go, where to stay and what to eat, here are some things and points of interest that you will find on the island for your vacation
Kythera hotels rooms – accommodation
You will find several hotels of all categories in Kythera in various parts of the island. Some of the villages where you will find accommodation are: Agia Pelagia, Kythera, Diakofti, Avlemonas, Potamos and others. See here all the hotels in Kythira and book at the best prices. In the category of 4 stars you will find 18 hotels, see here all 4 star hotels. The map below shows all the accommodations.
Kythira ferry ticket prices timetables
The conventional ship Aqua Jewel makes the route Piraeus Kythira in 6.5 hours. The ferry tickets cost 22 euros for a single seat and 55 euros for a double cabin. The ship also accepts cars.
1. Walk in Chora in Kythera. You will definitely do it but we write it first because Chora is beautiful with narrow alleys, white houses and of course the Venetian castle at the top. The Castle was built in 1503 and if you go up there you will have a view to the Aegean, the Ionian and the Cretan Sea. Explore all the villages you will find on the island, each one hides many beauties either due to architecture or due to natural beauty.
2. Beaches. Many beaches in Kythera. Many with difficult access since the dirt roads will bother your vehicle. It is important to know about the weather before visiting any of the beaches in Kythera. When it blows in the morning it is northerly which falls at night and when it is calm in the morning and in the afternoon it gets stronger and becomes a westerly wind culminating in the evening. If you want shallow water you will visit the sandy beaches of Agia Pelagia and Diakofti. We singled out the beaches: Melidoni in the southwestern part of the island, Diakofti, Fourni and Fyri Ammos.
3. Excursion to Chytra. Enjoy the feast of colors and a magnificent sunset in Chytra. Sunset spot also in Kythira is the Koukos bar in Kapsali, get your cocktail and enjoy the colors. Boats organize excursions to Chytra and depart from Kapsali. Go early and book a place! Chytra is typical for its wild rocky shores and a beautiful characteristic cave!
4. Hiking and trails in Kythira. The classic path that many take is the one that starts from Chora to Kapsali. One of the most beautiful trails, the distance is 3 km and the view is simply magnificent.
5. Museums in Kythera. In Kythira you will find two museums. the archeological museum located in Chora and inside it hosts objects of prehistoric and classical times mainly from the island. The second museum, which is the Byzantine Museum, can be found in Kato Livadi, which has a collection of early Christian, Byzantine and post-Byzantine works of art.
6. Also in Kythera you can see the largest stone bridge in Greece. It is the Katouni stone bridge that has 13 arches and 12 windows. It was built during the Anglo-Saxon period. The Moudario Lighthouse was built at the same time. It was built in the middle of the 19th century and is located in the northern part of the island, at Cape Spathi and is 25 meters high.
View this post on Instagram
7. Sea excursions. Try to go to Antikythera. The antiquities are located further south and the boat takes about 2 hours. Antikythera has few inhabitants and the rhythms there are even more relaxed. There are also daily 8-hour cruises on secluded beaches of Kythera and to Elafonisos.
8. What to try and what to eat: fatourada with sea bream, Kythera nuts, mill paste, sweet pumpkin pie and do not forget to take honey with you.
9 Waterfalls. In Kythera you will find the waterfall of Fonissa in rich lush vegetation. The landscape is enchanting and the waterfall is definitely one of the points of interest in Kythera. Apart from Fonissa waterfall, many call it the Fairy Waterfall.