Corfu, the famous island in the Ionian. The Venetians, the French and the English dominated the island and left their mark. Who has not seen in photos one of the many sights of Corfu or from the city center, the Venetian castle and more? It can be said that Corfu is a city-museum with many important sights, unique architecture, turquoise beaches and rich gastronomy. It is no coincidence that for many years Corfu has been one of the top destinations in the country.
Corfu hotels rooms – accommodation
The tourist infrastructure of the island is one of the best and largest in Greece. In Corfu you will find hotels from 2 to 5 stars for all budgets. Hotels and rooms for rent are scattered throughout the island. There are about 1,400 accommodations in number. See here all the hotels in Corfu. See here all 5-star hotels, 4-star hotels and hotels in Kerkyra city. The map below will help you with the exact location of the hotels and rooms. Wander around to see your options all over the island.
Corfu how to get there – ferry tickets
You can go to Corfu either by boat from Igoumenitsa or by plane. The airport is very close to Corfu town. For the ferry tickets from Igoumenitsa to Corfu let us inform you that the ticket for deck costs 10.30 euros and if you have a car 51 euros.
1. Walk in the Old Town in Corfu. A visit to the Old Town with its two Venetian fortresses is a must do. You can spend a whole day for your walk in the Old Town to have all year round to explore its narrow alleys. It remained under the Occupation of the Vendes until 1797 and this can be seen from the architectural elements of its buildings. In the alleys of the Old Town you will find shops, restaurants and of course the church of Agios Spyridon. The church of Agios Spyridon has the highest bell tower of Corfu and is built since 1580. Inside you will find the relics of Agios Spyridon that were transported from Constantinople from the 15th century.
2. Spianada Square and Liston. As we mentioned at the beginning, there are many attractions in Corfu. Two of the things that stand out (not that they do not stand out) are Spiniada Square and Liston. Initially, Liston is the meeting place of many visitors and locals, there you will find many cafes to enjoy your drink or your drink in the evening. Spiniada is a green square located between the Old Town and the Fortress and is the main square of Corfu. In Spianada you will also find the Museum of Asian Art with unique exhibits. Another 10 km from the center of Corfu is Achillion, one of the most famous palaces in Europe. It was built in 1891 and is a journey back in time as the palace was the summer residence of Princess Elizabeth of Austria-Hungary, known as Sissy. Another historic building is the Mon Repo which was the summer residence of the English Commissioner Frederic Adam and his wife Nina Palatianos.
View this post on Instagram
3. Channel of Love. And who has not seen even a photo of the Canal d’Amour, one of the most famous points of interest in Corfu. It is located in Sidari in the northern part of the island. The rocks have created small coves that have attracted many visitors for many years. Where to go for Instagram post? The Love Channel is one of them. Of course there you will find options for your luxury stay but if you are wondering where to eat there are options with several restaurants.
4. Monastery of Vlacherna. Special for its location. It dates from 1685 and is located at the southern tip of the Kanoni Peninsula.
5. Pontikonisi (=Mouse Island). The famous Pontikonisi is located opposite the Monastery of Vlacherna, accessible by small boats that ticket 3 euros. In this small island that dates from the 12th century you will find a cafe to enjoy your coffee. In the Marina you will find many cafes overlooking the Mouse Island and the Monastery of Vlacherna. Also there you will find many hotels overlooking Pontikonisi. Paleokastritsa is one of the most beautiful natural landscapes. The settlement of Paleokastritsa is built in six small coves. Near Paliokastritsa is Angelokastro, one of the best preserved Byzantine castles in our country. Built in the 13th century by Michael II is worth a visit.
View this post on Instagram
6. Corfu and beaches. Corfu with 217 km long beaches has many beaches for all tastes, from rocky steep shores to quiet sandy beaches. Some of the best beaches in Corfu are the following.
Glyfada – sandy beach, organized, one of the most popular, is about 15 minutes from the city of Corfu.
Agios Stefanos – organized sandy beach with shallow waters suitable for small children and families.
Porto Timoni – unorganized beach with sand and pebbles. Difficult access to these two beaches since they are two beaches. To be in Porto Timoni follow the path from Afionas and in 25 minutes you are at the beaches.
Other excellent beaches are: Paleokastritsa, Ypsos beach which is organized and with water sports, Isos beach which has a lot of space to spread your towel and others and of course the channel of Love that gathers many people. Throughout the island you will find remarkable beaches for your swimming.
For more isolated moments of relaxation and tranquility, prefer the beaches: Alypa, Agia Triada, Agios Petros, Ampelaki and Platakia.
7. Activities and what to do in Corfu. One of the things you can do in Corfu is diving and discover the beauties of the seabed of Corfu. You can also rent a bike and discover the island with your bike, go hiking, windsurfing, water skiing, jet skiing and more. Corfu is also one of the few destinations for planespotting, as you can see the boats landing quite close.
8. Sunsets spots. Some of the best places to see the sunset are from Pelekas and Pantokratoras. Pantokratoras is the highest mountain of Corfu with a height of 1,000 meters.
9. Nymphs Waterfalls. A waterfall of 15 meters and a landscape drowned in the green. The waterfall is located near the village of Nymphs in the northern part of Corfu. Access to the waterfall area is easy and the route from the village is a little less than 2 km. Nearby from the waterfalls of Nymphs are the smaller waterfalls of Kyprianades.
10. Where will I eat in Corfu. There are many places in Corfu where you can eat delicious food. If you are north you can go to Kassiopi to eat fresh fish and more. In Benitses you will also go to a lot of food as well as you will find many options in the cantons of the Old Town. Do not forget to eat patsitsada.