Combining mountain and sea landscapes, the city of the Argonauts, Volos is the capital of Magnesia Prefecture and the second largest city of Thessaly. It is built near the site of ancient Iolkos and beside Pagasitikos Gulf Coast. Northern Sporades are connected with mainland through Volos port.
The seafront of Volos is a jewel of the city, and along it there are shops where locals and visitors enjoy food and coffee as well. Following the seafront, we find the Agios Konstantinos park which ends at St. Constantine's Church which was built in 1936 and it really is a city's monument. A walk through the city must include a visit to area ''Palaia'', behind the town hall where there are many of the most notable restaurants. You can also enjoy some shots of tsipouro in the traditional taverns of Nea Ionia. It is worth visiting the archaeological museum with exhibits that come from prehistoric to Byzantine years, the Tsalapata block, a multiplex that used to be one of the first brickwork industries, founded by Tsalapata Bros in 1926. Today it hosts the famous brickworks museum “N& S. Tsalapata” and shops as well, that give a special entertainment character to the city of Volos.
Hotels in Volos - Accommodation in Volos
You will find hotels of all categories at the center of Volos. See all available hotels in Volos and book at the best prices.
Sights in Volos
UNIVERSITY OF THESSALY - PAPASTRATOS COMPLEX - The former Papastratou tobacco stores on the beach of Volos, housing sections of the University of Thessaly and two organized conference rooms.
St. John of Constantine and Helen - The temple of St. Konstantinou, built in 1936 in the designs of the architect Aristotle Zachos. Its elaborate architecture combined with its key position on the beach of Volos made the Temple a reference point of the modern city.
Konstantinou Park - This is the former Georgiou Square on the beach of Volos. It was formed in a recreational park in the 1920s in designs by architect N. Kitsikis.
Bank of Greece - Built in 1930 in a neoclassical rhythm that characterized the architecture of public buildings of that era.
Achillio - The Achillian Cinema Theater was built in 1925 in plans by the local architect K. Argyris. It continues to operate until today.
Agios Nikolaos Church - The Metropolitan Church of the city, the first of the three churches designed by Arch. Zachos in Volos was finished in 1934. In the courtyard of the church is preserved the old bell tower, the work of the Italian sculptor Previsan in 1884.
The legendary train "Moutzouris" started his charming routes in Pelion in 1895. The line was designed by Italian engineer Evaristo de Chirico and is a technological achievement of his time. Today he continues to offer his services starting routes from Lechonia and finishing to Milies. A beautiful route that offers magestic views to Pagasiticos gulf.
Volos Railway Station - The railway station building was erected in 1884, according to the aesthetics of the foreign architects who were working at that time on the Thessalian Railways. Its shape remains virtually unchanged in time and the museum's floor has a museum with rare material from the history of the railways in the area.
Art Center T. De Chirico - Located right next to the Municipal Conservatory building. It houses the Alekos K.Damtsa Museum and its exhibition rooms host periodic exhibitions of art and selection of works of the Municipal Collection.
Nea Anchialos Airport is located 3 km after the exit of Almyros Interchange on Highway E75 and 37km from the city of Volos. From port of Volos you can also visit the Sporades Islands, Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos.
Beaches near Volos
- Eastern Pelion beaches ( Papa Nero, Aghios Ioannis, Chorefto, Tsagarada, Zagora, Damouchari etc)
- Central Pelion beaches (Afissos, Horto, Kato Gatzea, Kala Nera etc)
- South Pelion beaches (Trikeri, Tzasteni, Mourtias, Liri, Katigiorgis etc)
Info about Pelion villages
- Western Pelion (Portaria, Makrinitsa, Hania)
- Eastern Pelion (Horefto, Agios Ioannis, Mouresi, Tsagarada, Damouchari)
- Southern Pelion (Lafkos, Milina, Kottes, Trikeri, Aghia Kiriaki)
- Central Pelion (Ano Lechonia, Milies, Vizitsa, Pinakates, Agria, Kato Gtazea, Afissos)