Meteora, a landscape that enchants you. Meteora is known all over the world for the natural beauty of the rocks and for the monasteries lying on some of the cliffs. Millions of tourists from all over the world visit Meteora to visit the monasteries, wander in Kastraki and explore the landscape of Meteora through beautiful paths that move between the rocks. Those who have seen Meteora only from photographs remain unapologetic when they approach and roam the rocks. The tourist infrastructure in Kastraki and Kalambaka is excellent with hotels of all categories, guesthouses and rooms at cheap prices, restaurants and taverns in Kalambaka and Kastraki but also a bit out of them with delicious food, as well as campsites located near Kalambaka. If you are wondering where to go, what to do, what to do, what to eat and what to see in Meteora, Kalambaka and Kastraki, then read the 10 things you can do if you come to Meteora either for a short escape or for more days.
Accommodation in Meteora - Hotels in Kalabaka and Kastraki Meteora
You will find many hotels and hostels offering rooms at good prices in Kalambaka and Kastraki. There are also 4 star hotels in Meteora like Meteora Hotel, Divani Meteora Hotel, Amalia Hotel Kalambaka, Grand Meteora Hotel offering a more comfortable and luxurious stay and with more facilities as they belong to the 4 star category. In Kastraki you will also find beautiful guesthouses at very good prices in a more traditional style that suits the settlement as well. Here you can easily and quickly book the cheapest hotels in Meteora.
Below are the 10 things to do in Meteora, Kalambaka and Kastraki
1) As a first, of course, we will mention one of the Monasteries that exist. Today, there are 6 monasteries (the Holy Meteora of Meteora, Varlaam Monastery, Rousanou Monastery, Holy Trinity Monastery, St. John Monastery and St. Stephen's Monastery). Visit them all if you have the time.
2) Hiking tour on the rocks of Meteora. There is no better way to get to know the complex of the rocks of Meteora from hiking to a rich network of trails. You are not a fan of hiking and footpaths? Then try a biking tour at Meteora! You will find in Kalambaka travel agencies that organize excursions and alternative activities to Meteora with a variety of packages to choose from! If you want something more extreme try rock climbing on the rocks of Meteora.
3) Visit the village of Kastraki, characterized as a listed traditional settlement, just 2 km from the center of Kalambaka, a wonderful traditional destination and it is a wonderful opportunity to wander through the narrow alleys of the village overlooking the first Meteora rocks. In Kastraki, as mentioned above, you will find several hotels and hostels to stay at cheap rates. Do not miss to visit the church of the Assumption of the Virgin with the three domes, Agios Nikolaos and Agios Athanasios, located near the main square of the village.
4) Visit the Museum of Natural History and Mushrooms located in Kalambaka. It is a private museum and was founded a few years ago and inside it you will see important exhibits that are divided into three categories, birds and mammals and totaling 300 exhibits.
5) Theopetra Cave - Theopetra is located 4 kilometers from Meteora and stands out from the road as it is on your right hand as you approach Meteora from Trikala. Theopetra is a huge rock that stands out and in this large volume you will find many climbers who go to the climbing field and moreover the cave of Theopetra with the famous human footprints dated to 130,000 years.
6) Try visiting the ruined monasteries. Meteora can be known for its monasteries and exploration of the ruined monasteries is a beautiful experience that includes a better acquaintance with the region and nature. Some of them are: the rock of the Holy Spirit, the monastery of Ypapanti and Agios Nikolaos Bantova. Also a visit to the rock of Great Saint is worth doing. The rock of Great Saint is the highest rock of Meteora and the view to Kalambaka at the end is fantastic. The route to the rock is one of the most beautiful trails that has been in existence for many years and part of it has been carved thousands of years ago by the inhabitants of Ancient Aeginio. To visit the rock you should go with a certified mountain guide. Here is the excursion that organizes the visit meteora travel.
7) Try to eat in some of the taverns in Kalambaka and Kastraki but also to drink local wine and tsipouro. Some of what you can eat is: kokoretsi, kebab, leek sausage, wild greenery, gulubassi lamb and calf in the pit, meat soup, delicious cooked like stew, kebab pork or sheep, konotsouvli and others.
8) If you decide to stay more days in Meteora then you can also visit the villages of Mt Koziakas, such as Elati, Pertouli and the villages of Aspropotamos. The route is great, but its beauty will compensate for you, since alternations of altitude and nature are many and will leave you with the best memories. The villages of Koziakas and Aspropotamos are the ideal choice for all seasons.
9) Visit the Meteora Planetarium. Visit the planetarium to see Meteora in 3D. The planetarium is open from 9am to 2pm and features 2 3D movies of half an hour. The newly-planted planetarium will be located at the Cultural Center of Kalambaka.
10) Sunset spot! Ending your walk in Meteora and when the sunset stop and see the sunset on one of the rocks, you will understand what are the best places since you will see other visitors who will sit there by stunning beautiful photos. Several Meteora visitors claim that it is the best time to observe the Meteora and the whole landscape as the colors are magical!
Kastraki | Flickr creative commons
Kastraki | Flickr creative commons
How to get to Meteora
By car: Athens - Meteora 360km , Thessaloniki - Meteora 230km.